I was building an test Exchange 2010 server as an VM. Exchange Setup gave an error on CAS and Mailbox roles (on pre-requests window). The error was
Unable to read data from the Metabase. Ensure that Microsoft Internet Information Services is installed.
Unable to access the ‘Default Web Site’ on this computer.
I checked IIS was installed and I was able to browse the default web site/page. what gives?
On this Exchange 2010 Prerequisites Technet page (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691354(EXCHG.140).aspx), I identified the powershell command to install all the correct IIS components to install all three roles (CAS/HUB/Mailbox) on a same computer.
- Open Power Shell in elevated mode (runas administrator)
- Type the following (or copy paste)
- Import-Module ServerManager
- Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy –Restart
- The second command will install the required components and reboot the server
- After reboot, open the Power Shell again in elevated mode.
- Type this to set NetTcpPortSharing service to automatic.
- Set-Service NetTcpPortSharing -StartupType Automatic
- Close the Powershell. Try running Exchange 2010 setup again.