Weird..huh! When I was asked why a AD group that contains Computer Objects and it shows computer names as User Icons. Well, its true that group had more then 500 computer objects. We supposed to see computer icons in members tab. It doesn’t seem to affect it’s functionality.
Mystery! Love it. But it was an easy answer though. According to this MSKB: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281923, Active Directory Users and Computer console shows gray haired User Icon for the group contains more than 500 members. Ha..Haa!!
As per MSKB-281923 article solution, I created the registry key and the value as following.
- Open Registry Editor
- Browse to this location: HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
- Created new sub key named “Directory UI“
- Created a new key DWORD item named GroupMemberQueryLimit va under “Directory UI”
- Modified the value for GroupMemberQueryLimit to 5000
- Close the Registry Editor
Close and reopen the Active Directory Users and Computers console, open the group. There. Members Icon shows correctly. Default limit for GroupMemberQueryLimit is 500. Now that makes sense.